Thursday, October 18, 2007

What Speaking can do for you....

I was having coffee with a colleague of mine not too long ago when she told me about some seminars that she puts together once a month. She brings in her clients and prospects for an educational seminar over lunch or dinner. Sometimes she is the presenter, but, more often than not, she brings in outside experts do present. I asked her who she brings in and why she chooses them, and her answer surprised me. I was surprised by, yet another example, of how the ability to speak well in front of others can bring in bigger and better business.

She told me that she generally brings in her suppliers to give the presentation. It makes sense and is good business. They come in to share their expertise and possibly pick up some business by presenting to her circle of clientele. "However," she said, "there are quite a few of my suppliers that I do not invite. Even though I use their products and would love to have them come and share their wisdom with my clients and prospects, they are bad speakers. I feel bad not bringing them in to present, but I have to bring in quality presenters to present to my clients."

Isn't it amazing how speaking can affect our businesses. These suppliers that she uses and would love to bring in to present are MISSING OPPORTUNITIES THEY DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THEY HAD. Since they haven't focused on becoming better speakers, she does not want to invite them to present at this wonderfully potential business growing seminar.

What opportunities might you be missing? This is why I truly believe, every time you speak it's an opportunity seized or lost.