Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Dealing with Remote Sites

Yesterday I had a very unique speaking experience. I spoke a a university. I had an audience from 3 different locations. About 27 people were in the room with me, and a hand full of people at two remote sites. One site was on a small TV screen at the back of the room and the other site was on a large projection at the front of the room. Because of the way the room was set up, there was no way to get the site from the large screen at the front and have it project in the back. Even though that was a little distracting for the audience in the room with me, I learned some wonderful new skills. 

One quick tip for anyone who has to give presentations to remote sites: When you're responding to a question from a remote site, be sure to answer the question while looking in the camera. When you look in the camera to respond, it makes them feel more connected to you. It is hard not to look at the screen and respond to their image, but then you would be breaking the rapport that you want to have with your audience.